Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I've been trying to find a picture to go with this entry, but it wasn't easy.  


I had a dream last night.  Very, very real feeling.
All of Grandma and Grandpa's friends that we knew were gathered at their old house in Lincoln Park.  Or someplace set up to look like the lower lot there, where they used to have the pool and where we played with the rock chimney thing.  Anyway, we were all there, family, friends, neighbors, everyone we've ever know connected with them.  The reason for the gathering was the division of their property--all their stuff.  But not so much the actual stuff, but the spirit of it.  If there was something you valued as a memory, you received that item, somehow improved for your current needs.  

Case in point, I was given the lower lot, turned into a play area and pool for the kids to play as we once did.  (Think Little Mermaid style grotto.  No, this doesn't make sense--you couldn't give something like that to someone, but it made sense in the dream.)

Anyway, we were all there, even friends and family who have passed on, except, of course, for Grandma and Grandpa, b/c they were the ones we were there to mourn and celebrate.

As we were watching and learning who was given what and instinctively knowing why, I suddenly felt a warm presence behind me and a pair of strong arms envelope me in a bear hug.  I knew it was Grandpa and when I turned around to hug him back, he was glowing softly and was younger, but not so young that he wasn't still Grandpa.  He told me he loved me, all of us, and he was so proud of us.  He said he's sorry we're all hurting so much right now, it makes him sad to see us sad, but he is happy.  They are happy and we needn't worry about them.  They love us.  He loves us.  He loves me.  He said a few other things I can't recall and then he hugged me again.



Then I woke up.  (I was on Charlie's bed in the kids' room, smooshed against the wall.)  I could still feel his warmth.  I could still hear his voice.  And I could still smell his familiar smell.  It was so real.


No comments: